Sunday, October 20, 2013

Post 88 - Vapors (novel chunk, prologue)

  I can tell you the exact moment my world broke apart.  2:13am, Saturday evening, mid-October, 1988. I was 14. I was drunk. I got raped.
  It happens a lot, so it doesn't make me special.  It seems to carry extra shame when you're a dude though. You're not supposed to allow that to happen.  Suddenly you're blocked off from any hope that you will ever be able to call yourself a man.  When you live in a world that demands you can blow through a 12 pack with the boys, build a fire, beat down a jerk and satisfy your woman endlessly with your 10 inch cock, what are you supposed to do when you've had another dude's dick in your ass.
  What I did was die.  My hopes were gone.  My options gone.  Any thought of self-esteem or being able to be of any worth to any human ever, especially a woman, effectively scorched from the Earth.  So I turned to a string of cliches to try and keep going forward.  Eventually I discovered a unique ability.  Since I hated myself, I discovered I could step in and take the heat, almost regardless of the situation.  Because no amount of disapproval or disgust could outpace what I felt inside.  I might not be able to fix myself, but I could give others the chance to grow and move on from their mistakes, simply by taking on their blame.
  It's made for a difficult and often lonely life, but it was the training I needed to handle the day the Vapors came.

No comments:

Post a Comment