Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 41 - Sunrise (poem)

SUNRISE

Sometimes when I meditate,
thoughts banging about
my head
with the unstructured intensity
of Battle Bots,

I wonder why
I am so talented
at cruelty.   It's a razor tipped whip
I try to keep coiled
even though
the temptation to use it is ever present,
seducing me with joy

at the thought of a skill
well displayed.

Still,
after my sharp words
flay the ego
or confidence of another
human being, shame
takes over.

I hate it, yet
crave it more than
the cigarettes I no longer smoke,
and in hopeless moments
wonder if I can ever
win.  Until I see

my son, emanating kindness
like a goodwill savant.  He is precocious
and imperfect, mouthy as a TV preacher,
but he plays the sun to everyone
in his orbit, casting warmth
and sharing gravity with all
those around him.

I see my son.  I see
his kindness isn't a philosophical choice
like me,
it is a part of his DNA.
And in my darkest moments, the reflection
of his inner light on my face
soothes
and inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment