Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 15 - Vapors (novel chunk)

    Julie looked up with tear stained eyes and saw Mick standing there.  He moved to her and pulled her to her feet, embracing her and enveloping her with love.  Her sobbing increased in intensity at this show of understanding.  Mick didn’t offer platitudes, or forgiveness.
    He simply said, “I understand.”
    Julie smiled at the words and said, “Thank you.”
    The she was gone.  The apartment, the blood, the woman who caused it, all gone in an instant, replaced by what Mick knew instinctively was the real Julie.  At least the Julie he was looking for.
    “If you keep banishing all the memories that have fucked me up then there’s not going to be any me left.”
    Mick crushed her to him, overwhelmed with relief that he’d found her.  That she wasn’t dead, or irretrievable.
    “I didn’t know how to find you.”
    “I know,” she said.  “And I’m grateful.  You’ve given me a great gift, and I am yours forever.”
    As they spoke Mick could sense they were reversing the journey inward.  Could feel a rushing movement towards the outside world.  And in the blink of an eye he was back in himself, back in his apartment, looking down at a fully conscious and present Julie with that old look of bemused chaos in her eyes.  But with a little something different.  She looked peaceful.  As though she’d come to grips with her place in the world.
    “We’ve got a lot to talk about,” he said.
    “No kidding.  But first you’re going to have to fuck me.  I’m wound up tighter than a Salem witch.”
    Mick smiled.  “I can do that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment